Home | Contact Us | How to Join the Arts Council | Site Guide     Today is   

 

News

New Buyers of Genesee Brewing Company Kick Off
Horse-Sized Community Arts Promotion
in Partnership with the
Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester

- Horses On Parade To Generate Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars for Local Charities -


On Sept. 21, 2000, the new buyers of the Genesee Brewery will introduce a significant community arts project that will bring life-sized fiberglass horses to the streets of downtown Rochester. And perhaps more importantly, the program promises to be the area's largest single fund-raising effort ever, and raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for local charities.

"High Falls Horses On Parade" will be similar to the recent Chicago Cow, Toronto Moose, Buffalo Buffaloes, and New York City Cow campaigns, in which large animal replicas were painted and otherwise embellished, then placed throughout the metropolitan area for view. The animals proved to be tourist attractions, increasing traffic to local businesses while encouraging public interest in the arts.

Rochester's High Falls Horses On Parade will involve corporate sponsorships of 150 available horses. To decorate their horses, sponsors will choose from a portfolio of artists and designs recommended by a local arts community review panel convened by the Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester. After their embellishment and four-month stint as local landmarks, all Rochester horses will be auctioned off, with funds raised going to area charities.

The Horses on Parade program is the brainchild of Dixon Schwabl Advertising, the firm retained by the management-led buyout group to help the St. Paul Street company become more actively involved in the community.

"We wanted to develop a promotion that would be larger than life," said Lauren Dixon, president of Dixon Schwabl Advertising. "It will be unlike anything we've ever seen before, and will add energy and excitement to downtown Rochester."

"Horses On Parade will be an exciting way to re-introduce our company to Rochester," said Howie Jacobson, senior vice president and chief marketing officer. "We were looking for a program that encouraged enthusiastic pride in our community while supporting important local charities."

From the 150 corporate sponsorships alone, Genesee Brewing Company will donate $25,000 to each of the following selected charities: Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, Camp Good Days and Special Times, Children's Hospital at Strong, Hillside Work Scholarship Connection and Wilson Commencement Park.

At the post-parade auction, 25% of all dollars raised will be distributed to one or more of the above charities (at the bidder's discretion), and the remaining 75% will go to the charity of the bidder's choice - whether one of the selected charities or another altogether.

"Increasing community pride through community-wide giving is a large component of the campaign," Jacobson explained. "Adding Rochester to the list of world-class cities that have launched similar community arts projects is another."

Artists interested in completing the Request for Designs can contact the Arts & Cultural Council at 716-473-4000. Businesses interested in learning more about sponsoring a horse can contact Dixon Schwabl Advertising at 716-383-0380.

FOR MORE INFORMATION Contact:
Howie Jacobson, Genesee Brewing Co.
716-263-9405
- or -
Barbara Pierce, Dixon Schwabl Advertising
716-383-0380
-or-
Sarah Lentini, Arts & Cultural Council
716-473-4000 ext. 207

 

 

 

This site is supported by funding from State of New York Grants secured by Senator James S. Alesi, Assemblyman Joseph D. Morelle, and Senator Joseph E. Robach; the New York State Council on the Arts; WROC Television; and Rochester Area Community Foundation.